Purpose of policy
Collection of personal information
Terra collects personal information from you in a number of different ways. We may collect personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, such as when you call us, fill out a form, provide personal information to us, order our products or services (including via http://parts.cat.com), visit one of our locations, use our Website or apply for a job with us. If we have extended a credit facility to you, we will also collect information internally about your payment performance.
We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available sources, or in some cases, from third parties including Caterpillar Inc., credit reporting agencies, recruitment agencies, online plant and equipment hirers, auction houses and market research and communications companies.
The types of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on your interaction with us. Generally, we will collect and hold your name, contact details and information relating to your dealings with us. But we may also collect additional personal information from you if you:
- use our Website – we will also collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address or Unique Device Identifier and other details about your usage of our Website;
- apply to work with us – see below at “Job applicants”;
- are a Terra customer – we will collect and hold your name, company, phone number, email and postal addresses; or
- apply for credit (or if a company of which you are a director applies for credit, or if you propose to guarantee credit applied for by another person) – we will collect and hold your name, company, postal and email addresses, mobile phone number, date of birth, bank account details and driver’s licence number. We will also collect information contained in credit reports obtained from credit reporting bodies, which includes information about your credit history with other credit providers. We will also collect and hold scores, ratings, summaries, evaluations and other information about your credit worthiness which is derived by us or by credit reporting bodies wholly or partly from any of such information.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- verifying your identity;
- contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner);
- providing you with our products or services;
- assessing and processing your credit application or your application to guarantee credit applied for by another person;
- assessing and progressing (if appropriate) your job application;
- developing and improving our goods and services and obtaining feedback; and
- for advertising, marketing and lead generation.
If we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to provide you with products, services and assistance to the extent that they require us to collect, use or disclose personal information.
Use and disclosure of personal information
We may hold, use and disclose your personal information so that we can:
- respond to your enquiry and provide you with any products and services you may have requested;
- contact you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner) in relation to your enquiry;
- respond to your feedback or complaint;
- assess and process your credit or guarantee application, administer your credit account (including reviews of credit limits, ordering behaviours and patterns, managing defaults and collecting payments), participate in the credit reporting system (including providing information to credit reporting bodies) and continually review and assess your credit worthiness;
- derive scores, ratings, summaries and evaluations relating to your credit worthiness (which are used in our decision-making processes and ongoing reviews);
- administer, investigate, report and resolve any insurance or other claims, complaints or incidents;
- assess and process your employment application, including conducting reference checks;
- carry out our business functions and activities, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- improve the service we provide and also to let you know about promotions, discounts, upcoming events or products or services that may be of interest to you.
We may also share your personal information within the Sime Darby Group (see “About us”) and with third parties, including:
- Caterpillar Inc. for benchmarking, marketing and promotional purposes;
- third party service providers we use in conducting our business (including archival, auditing, debt collection, banking, insurance, marketing, advertising, mailhouse, delivery, recruitment, customer contact, technology, data processing, research, investigation, utility, professional advisory (legal, accounting, financial and business consulting) and security services);
- if you apply to work with us (see below at “Job applicants”); and
- if you apply for credit (or a company of which you are a director applies for credit, or you propose to guarantee credit applied for by another person), we will collect from your personal information and disclose your personal information (and other information you provide in connection with your credit application) to other credit providers, trade referees and credit rating service providers.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside New Zealand. See below at “Overseas disclosures”.
If you apply to work with us, we collect the details that you include in your application and during any interview process with us, as well as from your referees, our recruitment agencies and from public sources. We may also ask you to provide us with additional personal information (including as part of a criminal history check and drug and alcohol testing, as required by our pre-employment screening policy), subject to our legal obligations.
We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from our related entities and our service providers who help us with the recruitment process. This includes recruitment agencies and service providers who perform pre-employment screening and testing services for us. We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
We will not use this information for any purposes other than assessing and progressing (if applicable) your employment application.
Credit applications and credit reporting bodies
If you, or company of which you are director, apply to us for credit, we may obtain a credit report about you from a credit reporting body. We may also obtain a credit report about you if you have guaranteed, or have offered to guarantee, an application for a credit facility for a company or someone else.
When we request a credit report from a credit reporting body, we will provide information to the credit reporting body that identifies you, and we may give them information about the type and amount of credit applied for or provided to you (or your company).
Information about our marketing practices
We may contact you via email, post or other means in order to provide you with updated information about the products or services you have ordered from us and to provide you with other information about our products and services and those of our suppliers (including Caterpillar Inc.). If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from us, you can unsubscribe using the link contained in our emails, otherwise you can contact us using the details set out below.
When you visit our Website, our web measurement tools (including Google Analytics) and Internet Service Providers record anonymous information for statistical purposes only, including:
a) the type of browser, computer platform and screen resolution you are using;
b) your traffic patterns through our site such as:
- I. the date and time of your visit to the site;
- II. the pages you accessed and documents downloaded; and
- III. the previous page you visited prior to accessing our site; and
c) the Internet address of the server accessing our site.
You can opt-out of Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on - https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout, which provides you with the ability to prevent your data from being collected and used by Google Analytics. For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en.
You can opt out of remarketing by visiting Google’s Ads Settings page at http://www.google.com/settings/ads.
We use and share this information to do internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviours to better understand, serve our customers and to improve, market or advertise our products and services. We also capture metrics on the number of visitors to our Website for use in server capacity needs.
We will strive to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected wherever it may be processed by our Website. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when appropriate in the collection or transferral of sensitive data such as financial information. SSL encryption is designed to make the information unreadable by anyone but us. This security measure is working when you see either the symbol of an unbroken key or closed lock (depending on your browser) on the bottom of your browser window.
Your privacy rights
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we may hold about you, please contact us as set out below.
Storage and security of your personal information
We hold our customer data electronically in our IT systems and in paper files. These may include the servers of our third party service providers located within New Zealand.
Terra will take reasonable steps to keep any personal information we hold about you secure. However, except to the extent liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, Terra excludes all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
Terra Industrial New Zealand Limited
98 Kerry Road
Phone: +61 7 3717 2271
When contacting us, please provide as much detail as possible in relation to the query, issue or complaint.
Your complaint will be taken seriously and will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
If you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10094
Phone: 0800 803 909
Please direct any privacy requests (including requests for access to or correction of your personal information), issues or queries to:
Terra Industrial New Zealand Limited
98 Kerry Road
Phone: +61 7 3717 2271